December means best-of lists. I’m starting with what I considered to be the best albums of 2007. In past years I’ve pussied out and not ranked them; not so this year. While 2007 lacked a clear and classic winner like The Woods or Funeral, the top three are all quite good.
- Kings Of Leon . Because Of The Times
- Arcade Fire . Neon Bible
- The Besnard Lakes . The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse
- Radiohead . In Rainbows
- Spoon . Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
- Raising The Fawn . Sleight Of Hand
- Explosions In The Sky . All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone
- Band Of Horses . Cease To Begin
- Okkervil River . The Stage Names
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club . Baby 81
Neko Case‘s Live From Austin, Texas was among the best I bought all year, but I don’t feel right including a live/compilation album on that list. Other good ones included Ongiara by Great Lake Swimmers, The Kissaway Trail‘s eponymous debut and Let’s Stay Friends by Les Savy Fav. My two biggest disappointments were Challengers by The New Pornographers and Icky Thump by The White Stripes; both were good, but not of the killer quality I’m accustomed to hearing with those two bands.
Over the next few days I’ll be doing my best films (so far) and best songs list.
[tags]best albums of 2007, best music of 2007[/tags]