We’ve entered the time of year where there aren’t really any more new albums coming out that I care about, so here are what I consider the ten best to be released this year.
- and you will know us by the trail of dead . the century of self
- the antlers . hospice
- neko case . middle cyclone
- drummer . feel good together
- the heartless bastards . the mountain
- japandroids . post-nothing
- lightning dust . infinite light
- jay reatard . watch me fall
- the rural alberta advantage . hometowns
- william elliott whitmore . animals in the dark
Those are in alphabetical order, obviously. If I were to pick my favourite of the year I’d probably land on Japandroids or The RAA, but top to bottom that’s a pretty strong lineup, even without the likes of The Dead Weather, Fanfarlo, The Thermals, The Xx or Now, Now Every Children, all of which I quite liked.
And for the bonus round, here are my two favourite albums from past years which I only discovered in the last twelve months:
- the black angels . passover
- the plastiscines / lp1
So…what’d I miss?