Yes, I know we haven’t really begun a new decade yet. And yes, I know we’re already a month into the “new” decade. But everybody else did it, so me too me too me too.
Here are, in my opinion, the best albums released between 2000 and 2009:
- The Arcade Fire . Funeral
- And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead . Source Tags And Codes
- Radiohead . Kid A
- Sigur Ros . Agaetis Byrjun
- Spoon . Kill The Moonlight
- Sleater-Kinney . The Woods
- The New Pornographers . Mass Rmantic
- The Hidden Cameras . Mississauga Goddam
- Mates Of State . Bring It Back
- Regina Spektor . Begin To Hope
The weird thing about this list is that there’s nothing later than 2006. In fact only two albums from 2009 made my initial cut-down list, and none from either 2007 or 2008. Were those three years devoid of great music? Or have my music consumption habits changed so much that I no longer absorb and appreciate great albums? Both possibilities worry me.