It’s an annual event that I pick my ten favourite albums of the year and, a few months later, revise the bejeezus out of it because I was late to the party on some brilliant new band or another. So, welcome to another round.
- Titus Andronicus . The Monitor
- The National . High Violet
- Arcade Fire . The Suburbs
- A Silver Mt. Zion . Kollaps Tradixionales
- The Besnard Lakes . Are The Roaring Night
- The New Pornographers . Together
- Junip . Fields
- Frightened Rabbit . The Winter Of Mixed Drinks
- Corin Tucker . 1000 Years
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club . Beat The Devil’s Tattoo
Note that there is a big, big gap between the top three and everything else. In fact, little if anything separates #4 from #10. Basically it broke down like this: a brilliant Titus Andronicus album, excellent albums by The National and Arcade Fire, and then seven more pretty good releases. And then there was the ‘not bad’ pile made up of Crazy For You by Best Coast, Sea Of Cowards by Dead Weather, Sleep Mountain by The Kissaway Trail, Transference by Spoon, Personal Life by The Thermals and Going Places by Yellow Swans.
Crushes by Mates Of State definitely would have made the list, but it’s an entire album of covers so I don’t think it qualifies.