So, as of yesterday, Nellie and I have been married for ten years. Cool, right?
To celebrate we had dinner at George, a perpetual top restaurant in Toronto, which we’ve somehow never been to despite it being just around the corner from us.
We had the seven-course tasting menu…which might have been a bit much, since we’re both still sick with colds — I ran down somewhere around course #4. It wasn’t the best tasting menu we’ve ever had, but we agreed that it might have come with the best, and most interesting, wine pairings. I wasn’t taking copious notes; while there were generally 5+ flavours on each plate I’ve only captured the main ingredient.
- Amuse-bouche of Carrot paste, caramelized root vegetables, rye toast (2004 André Clouet Champagne)
- BC spot prawns (2007 Weinrieder ‘Birthal’ Weissburgunder – Austria) // Crusted black cod (Ontario Spring Water Sake – Canada)
- Tuna (2012 Valle Dell ‘Acate ‘Zagra’ Grillo – Italy) // Smoked trout (2010 Kew Vineyards ‘Old Vines’ Riesling – Canada)
- Tempura lobster (2012 Alheit Vineyards ‘Cartology’ Chenin Blanc/Semillon – South Africa) // Scallop ceviche (a white Bordeaux…don’t remember which)
- Squab (2008 Argiolas Korem Isola dei Nuraghi Bovale/Carignano/Cannonau – Italy) // Cornish hen in a pastry (2009 Azienda Agricola COS ‘Maldafrica’ Cabernet/Merlot/Frappato – Italy)
- Lamb (2010 Ramey Sonoma Coast Syrah — USA) // Beef tenderloin (2011 Hendry Ranch Vineyards Zinfandel – USA)
- Some kind of ash-y blue cheese (2002 Domaine Rolly Gassmann Stegreben de Rorschwihr Gewürztraminer – France) // Blackburn Washed Rind Raw Cow’s Milk – Québec (Villa Late Harvest ‘Tregenda’ Papiano – Italy)
- Chocolate cake (20-year-old Tawny Port) // Apple cake (some kind of apple cider) // Moscato D’Asti
And this happened at dessert. Thanks George!
Photo by postbear eater of worlds, used under Creative Commons license