Every year the Academy Award nominees are announced, and every year the lists are picked apart. There’s always a name or two from each category that the punters think should have made it, but this year I noticed one that struck me as particularly off: best actor in a leading role. The actual nominees are:
- Christian Bale for American Hustle
- Bruce Dern for Nebraska
- Leonardo DiCaprio for The Wolf Of Wall Street
- Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 Years A Slave
- Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
But really, would anyone have been surprised if the list had been these five?
- Tom Hanks for Captain Phillips
- Oscar Isaac for Inside Llewyn Davis
- Michael B. Jordan for Fruitvale Station
- Joaquin Phoenix for Her
- Robert Redford for All Is Lost
Or Matthew McConaughey for Mud, come to that?
Cover photo by Rachel, used under Creative Commons license