It’s been more than two years since we visited Prince Edward County, which was entirely too long. I almost forgot how much we love it there.
The love came rushing back to me pretty much as soon as we arrived at Norman Hardie‘s for some tastings and wood-fired oven pizza. The food and wine, the fresh air and green fields, the County camaraderie…it’s starting to feel like home out there. After Hardie we hit stops from our previous trips, including Rosehall Run, The Old Third (where there was a chocolate lab puppy so cute I wanted to just eat her like candy), Closson Chase, Hinterland (where they fed us pulled pork sandwiches outside), and Lighthall. We also hit a few new ones like Hubbs Creek, Broken Stone, and Trail. Hubbs Creek was really good — nice Pinot Gris, decent Pinot Noir, and a very interesting Sussreserve Gamay rosé.
We checked into our room at the Newsroom Suites, had a little nap (I’d sampled a lot of wine), and walked across the street for dinner at East & Main. It was, as always, terrific. Nellie had mushroom ravioli and the steak frites while I had the scallops and the duck special. Our server recommended a bottle of Karlo Estates Quintas to go with it, and it lived nicely indeed amongst our two mains.
The next day I got up early for breakfast at The Tall Poppy while Nellie slept in. Soon we were on our way again, checking in at Huff Estates and and TerraCello for early-morning tastings. TerraCello was a new stop for us; we liked that they’re doing very different wines there, like a straight Vidal and a De Chaunac. They also do wood-fired pizzas, though they weren’t quite up and running yet that morning due to an overnight power outage. No problem though; we just skipped back over to Norm Hardie’s for round 2. Bumped into an old colleague while there too, which was a pleasant surprise.
And with that, we were off back to Toronto. Here’s the motherlode we brought home:
- Broken Stone 2013 Pinot2 (x2)
- Closson Chase 2011 KJ Watson Pinot Noir (x2)
- Closson Chase 2012 South Clos Chardonnay (x2)
- Hinterland 2011 Sparkling Rosé
- Hinterland 2013 Whitecap
- Hinterland 2013 Borealis (x2)
- Hinterland 2012 Lacus (x2)
- Hubbs Creek 2013 Pinot Gris (x2)
- Hubbs Creek 2011 Pinot Noir (x2)
- Hubbs Creek 2013 Sussreserve Gamay Rosé (x2)
- Huff Estates 2007 Cuvée Peter J. Huff Sparkling
- Huff Estates 2011 South Bay Chardonnay
- Huff Estates 2012 Cabernet Franc Rosé (x2)
- Lighthall 2011 Muté White Port
- Lighthall 2012 Mes Trois Fils Pinot Noir
- Lighthall 2012 Gewurztraminer
- Norman Hardie 2013 Calcaire (x2)
- Norman Hardie 2012 County Chardonnay (x2)
- Norman Hardie 2010 Pinot Noir (x2)
- Old Third 2012 Pinot Noir Blanc (x2)
- Old Third 2011 A La Volée Sparkling Pinot Noir (x2)
- Old Third 2013 Golden Russet Cider (x2)
- Rosehall Run 2012 Pixie
- Rosehall Run 2011 The Swinger Syrah
- Rosehall Run 2011 Pinot Noir
- Rosehall Run 2012 Gamay
- Rosehall Run 2012 Certain Ratio
- Terracello 2013 Riesling
- Terracello 2012 Vidal
- Terracello 2013 De Chaunac
- Trail 2013 Unoaked Chardonnay
- Trail 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
À la prochaine, county.