A few nights ago I ate at Byblos for the first time. I’d heard mixed reviews about it, so I’d been looking forward to trying it for myself. It was…okay. Here’s what we had:
- Citrus Mixed Olives w/ Chili + Preserved Lemon + Cilantro
- Lamb Ribs w/ Dukkah + Buttermilk Sauce + Carob Molasses + Red Chili Schug
- Steak Tartare w/ Chili Paste + Mint + Yogurt + Olive Oil + Barbari Bread
- Fig Salad w/ Orange Blossom Honey Vinegar + Ackawi Cheese + Kohlrabi + Pistachio
- Dry Aged Ribeye w/ Za’atar Butter + Smoked Eggplant
- Whole Boneless Branzino w/ Vine Leaf + Chemoula + Saffron Toum + Eggplant Pickle
- Hand Rolled Couscous w/ Brown Butter + Saffron + Herbs
- Yogurt Mousse w/ Pistachio Cake + Orange Blossom Water+ Pomegranate Molasses + Flower Jam
Apart from the lamb ribs and steak tartare, the meal wasn’t exactly remarkable. I was being treated, though, so I couldn’t complain.
After that a few of us went to Bar Chef. I’d never been there but I’d heard that we be in for some ridiculous cocktails. And oh, were we ever. To wit:
- Heirloom Caesars: infusion of thyme, shallot, garlic, fennel, tomato water vessel, clamato snow, celery snow, pickled beet brunoise, parsley
- Sailor’s Mojitos: beach essence, sailor jerry rum, mint, fresh lime, vanilla syrup, mojito ravioli, fresh lime and vanilla air
- a Mad Man: backwoods infused bourbon, sweet vermouth, cacao, maple, black pepper, cherry, leather
Coconut Mojito: coconut rum, fresh lime, vanilla, coconut milk, mint
- a Vanilla And Hickory Smoked Manhattan: Crown Royal special reserve, vanilla infused brandy, cherry and vanilla bitter, hickory smoked syrup, smoked hickory and vanilla. It comes in a bell jar full of smoke.
- Punchbowls (!) of Four Seven Two (bourbon, cola bitter, fresh lime, muddled mint, mint syrup) and Jimmy Cliff (thyme infused spiced rum, vanilla syrup, fresh lime, in-house ginger beer)
It was a drinkyadventure, to be sure.