Our seventh Session craft beer fest went off yesterday, and once again our friends Adam & Alicia joined us. Actually, they came over first to enjoy the views, do a bit of snacking, and sample a few beers before we left: Refined Fool Pouch Envy Australian Pale Ale, Left Field Sunlight Park Saison, and a phenomenal one-off Saison/rosé collaboration between Burdock and Pearl-Morissette winery. That bottle went straight to the hall of fame.
Then, off we went to Yonge/Dundas Square for the event itself. Here’s what I tried, as best I can remember:
- Sextant “Why So Sirius?” pale ale
- Big Rig “Great White North” hoppy wheat (collaboration w/ Central City)
- Oast House “Haarlem Globe Trotter” koyt beer (collaboration w/ Jopen)
- Stack vanilla chai amber
- New Ontario “Sap Sucker” maple brown (collaboration, but not really)
- Redline “Cruise Control” mango + lime session IPA
- Nickel Brook “Arkells Morning Brew” coffee brett pale (collaboration w/ Detour coffee)
- Nickel Brook “Uncommon Element” brett pale ale
- Sawdust City “1606” barrel-aged raspberry stout
- Sawdust City “Bitter Beauty” double IPA (collaboration w/ Jason Collett)
- Muskoka “Ruff Draught” tropical blonde (collaboration w/ Born Ruffians)
- Sawdust City 1606 (again)
- Amsterdam “Revelator” Bock (collaboration w/ Jordan St John)
- Sawdust City “Blood of Cthulhu” imperial stout
Oddly enough the Oast House was probably my least favourite, which surprised me. The New Ontario and Stack were pleasant surprises, but the 1606 was friggin’ outstanding.
We returned to our place, stopping at Batch to pick up some wings, and knocked down a few more beers (Fat Tug IPA, Great Lakes Hanlan’s Point coconut coffee porter) before calling it a night.
Overall, pretty happy with this event again. Lots of great beers, not too crowded, and unlike Cask Days I actually got every single beer I asked for. Add good friends and gorgeous weather, and it was a pretty top-notch day.