Our art + good food weekend continued Saturday and Sunday. I’ll cover the art part later; for now there were some new (to me/us) restaurants to cover.
We wanted something simple with a patio Saturday morning, so we tried the lo-fi Opera House Grill for burgers and cheap beer and a plateful of onion rings the size of a turkey platter.
On Sunday we went back to Peasant Table, this time for brunch (I’d been before; Lindsay hadn’t) in a breezy window seat. My peasant breakfast was good, and huge, but Linds’ eggs benny was tops.
After a ton of errands (including ordering a new dining table — finally!) we stopped at the Fresh location on Shaw (my first time; definitely not Lindsay’s) for some big-ass bowls. My buddha bowl was delicious, and so big I couldn’t finish it. Lindsay’s beach bowl was similar. We shared real ginger ale and a green variant of their blue lemonade. (Don’t ask.)
We also tried Ruby Watchco. I’d been there years ago, shortly after it opened, but hadn’t been back since. We walked in without a reservation and lucked into a killer corner booth in the back. Everyone gets the same menu, but we did take one of the up-sells:
- HEIRLOOM TOMATO AND CUCUMBER SALAD (with New Farms greens, feta, frisse, radishes, tomato caper remoulade)
- 2015 Roussanne/ Marsanne ‘Cuvee Tradition’ Mas Carlot, Costieres de Nimes
- FRIED CHICKEN TACOS (with mojo de ajo slaw, chipotle mayo, lime)
- 2015 Prosecco DOC, Canti, Veneto
- GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH PARSLEY CHIMICHURRI (with Top Tomato Farm broccoli + tomato salsa, chorizo mac n’ cheese, green bean & bean sprout stir fry, and also some unexpected ratatouille they happened to have lying around)
- 2015 ‘Reserve’ Baco Noir, Henry of Pelham, Short Hills Bench
- ARTISANAL CHEESE (with sweet & sour eggplant, honey & pistachios)
- 2015 Syrah, Chateau Maris, AOC Minervois
- STRAWBERRY LEMON POUND CAKE FOOL (with sweet vanilla custard & cream)
- 2016 Pinot Gris, Organized Crime Winery, Beamsville Bench