Last night we completed our August full o’ concerts, seeing Beach House at the Sony Centre. They were just so…dreamy? Trance-y? Lush? The music is just as breathy and ethereal live as it is on the albums (not surprising; about 1/4 of it is backing track, not live) largely because it’s so precise and layered, so I didn’t hear anything new, but the visuals — intensely lights and effects back-lighting three silhouettes — added a lot.
Unfortunately there was a constant flow of people walking in and out, which was distracting, especially since no one could find their way back without turning on their phone’s light. I don’t know if people were tripping from the lights or just had to pee a lot, but it kept yanking me out of the moment. Still: so lovely.
The reported set list:
- Dark Spring
- Heart of Chambers
- Rough Song
- Girl of the Year
- Space Song
- Drunk in LA
- Lemon Glow
- Walk in the Park
Also: before the concert we had dinner — a much better outing than last time, too. This time we stopped at Leña, in my old neighbourhood. I’d never managed to go, as it opened not long before I moved, but I’m glad we stepped in — it was very tasty. We had:
- bread w/ housemade miche, salted butter
- sea bream tartare w/ sweet green tomato, lime, nasty sauce, potato
- seasonal oysters w/ half dozen, cava mignonette, nasty sauce
- angus beef ribeye steak w/ peperonata, yukon gold chips, chimichurri
- 12 vegetable salad w/ milk mayonnaise, charred & raw vegetables, tomatillo & coriander dressing
It was all good, but the sea bream tartare was so spicy and delicious. I’d go back just for that.