now that was a weekend. ~55 hours in chicago, illinois.
- the shedd aquarium was great, if for no other reason that it contains otters, funnest animal alive
- the art institute blew me away with how much impressionist art it had
- i’d forgotten how much i love ribs
- don’t believe the hype. giordano’s pizza is the worst i’ve ever had, hands down
- i could do the architecture boat tour a dozen times and not get tired of it
- one day, when i have money, me and my credit cards are gonna take a little trip down the magnificent mile
- the restaurant at the fairmont hotel serves the best $15 waffle i ever et
i mean, i knew what to expect, but i wasn’t expecting that! cirque du soleil, tout le monde. if you ever have a chance to go see it, go see it. i saw this year’s installment, varekai, and by all reports it’s not even as good as some of their previous work, but it was enough to make me say, “holy shit!” more than a few times.
forget the “traditional” circus with all the animal torture. sign me up for people shooting across the room into giant white fabric slides, sparks flying from blades in a high-speed spinning swordfight, guys doing 30 consecutive sitting backflips and acrobats falling 30 feet as they unravel themselves from a giant net any day.
two movies which i’d never seen until this past week, for some bizarre reason or another:
- ferris bueller’s day off: despite being a john highes product (the main reason i’d stayed away before), i thought it was good. funny and informative (i’m going to chicago later this month, so it was nice to get a tour). battabattabattabattasaaa-wiiiingbatta
- swingers: this movie was so very, very money. as with made, i hated vince vaughn for the first half hour, but grew to like him a bit. the whole scene with jon favreau leaving messages on nikki’s answering machine had me halfway between hysterical laughter and sympathy pains. i was yelling, “no, don’t call her again!” at the tv. thank god no one was here.
dang, if i’d known there were no decent extras (at least, nothing you couldn’t find on the net) on this 2-disc DVD set i’d have just waited for the 4-disc set coming in november. i’ll probably buy it anyway.
congratulations, new line & alliance atlantis. i am your consumer. your marketing scheme has worked perfectly. well done.
see, i disconnected my cable for the summer, and i discovered this great new video store, and my video list was getting out of control…all this explains why you keep seeing so many movies discussed here. as if anyone’s actually reading this anyway…
- lawrence of arabia: i can see why my brother called this his favourite movie. god, the locations were just incredible…all the desert shots, the sunrises as beautiful as they are sure to mean death. it annoyed me that movie producers ever felt they had to cast white men in arab roles (alec guinness as prince feisal? anthony quinn as auda abu tayi? right.
- bottle rocket: probably would’ve liked it more if i could stand owen wilson. but i can’t. luke, yes. owen, no. only time i laughed was when kumar (kumar pallana, who appears in all of wes anderson’s movies) said, “who was that man?”. and i laughed a lot.
- eight men out: i’d seen it years ago, but i didn’t appreciate it back then. i couldn’t really follow the plot, and i didn’t appreciate how good the actual ball was compared to other shite baseball movies. john sayles is a pretty talented guy; he directed and played ring lardner.
- do the right thing: typical spike lee. not bad, not great. some characters compelling, some annoying (yes, yes, just like real life, i unnerstand), all overdone. rosie perez was and is a medical marvel, able to be extremely sexy and phenomenally annoying at the same time.
also saw signs this weekend. man, it’s fun to watch a scary movie in a huge theatre where people freak out. blair witch was even better for that (the four girls in front of me who covered their eyes, stomped their feet and mumbled “ohmygodohmygodohmygod…” for the last 10 minutes were priceless), but signs was funny too. weird to see people so scared and then laughing out loud 5 seconds after. go see it.
i’m just getting up from the nap i needed to recover from the weekend i just had. a long delay, a short flight, a quick meeting with a new family member, a special bitter, goldmember, good timing, a surprise, a sleepless night, a beach, a redneck town, a huge party, fireworks, earplugs, champagne & orange juice, a drive home, a barbeque, some primo family time, a drive back, lobster dinner (i had hamburgers), strawberries, an early night, an earlier morning, a short flight, a cab ride, a subway ride, a half-assed attempt at work, a nap, an order for chinese food.
you’re now caught up.
ok, before this rain started, it was so damned humid outside that i’d be walking along and all of a sudden feel a drop of water form on my face. not sweat, mind you, the air was just…shedding water. it was funny, all these people on the sidewalk looking up to see if the windows were being washed…