This morning the Globe and Mail replays some blog and newsgroup postings by the wives of some of the recently captured Canadian terror suspects. It’s not terrifying so much as it’s sad; as loathsome as their statements are, it’s obvious that these are the rantings of two women who obviously are not the sharpest knives in the drawer (one of them’s just a kid), and who are just parroting Jihadist rhetoric.
But what’s really terrifying is the comment section. These statements are as bad as anything the women posted online:
- “The veil should be illegal…you live in Canada….any other citizen running around in a mask would be interogated”
- “I’m sure that allah and/or muhammed didn’t expect muslims to become the sorriest, cruelest, least cultured, most hateful people in the world”
- “[W]e should not let anyone in this country with different social values”
- “I’m not sure we shouldn’t throw out the baby, the bathwater and the BATHTUB containing the Muslim immigration pool, until we have a better handle on it”
- “You people are a very good reason and example of why we should not be importing individuals from Islamic countries”
- “[T]hey need to be weeded out of civilized society by every means possible – including control on constitutional rights, if thatâ€™s what it takes to destroy this plague – the free world needs to eradicate it like the disease it is”
- “These wackos are right about one thing, we should round this group up and deport the whole bunch of them…On a different point, is it a good idea to have the father of one or two of these traitors prescribing medicine to our soldiers?”
- “Send them to Afganistan where they can joing their beloved Taliban and hopefully be bombed into the hereafter that they covet so much”
- “Personally I think if these people are convicted we should send them to gitmo north, but let’s move it north of Iqaluit first”
- “When you have people of a religion who’s sole desire is to murder the innocent Men, Women, and Chileren in the Name of their Religion, then you need to truly ask the question is that religion a loving and kind religion”
- “I believe that we are at the point where we should no longer accept immigrants from Muslim Countries”
- “[T]he only difference between a militant and a moderate muslim is the length of their beards”
- “Happy Canada day to all who love our country and to the rest, may we soon hunt you down and eliminate you before you eliminate us!”
One of the early commenters tried valiantly to make some sense of what these women had posted, to explain how these women could arrive at such a mindset. Another, later on, asked the commenters for reason. Sadly, reasoned arguments were hard to come by in this post.
I feel sick to my stomach after reading this.
[tags]terrorism, bigotry, multiculturalism, hate[/tags]