While the back half of this long weekend will be spent doing work (probably) the first part was about unwinding from the week, and having a bit of fun.
First, on Friday: Lob, an indoor bocce track / bar that opened near us earlier this year. We met a bunch of friends there and played our little hearts out (I sucked) and had some pretty good beers — Lindsay drank Radical Road Yuzu pale all night, and I drank Left Field Bang Bang sour. More fun that I reckoned it would be, actually.
Yesterday, after plowing through a bunch of Making A Murderer season 2 we went to see First Man (imdb | rotten tomatoes) at the Scotiabank theatre. I knew it was a straight procedural and obviously knew how it ended, but the personal lens (Armstrong’s) and style with which it was done made it so good. It certainly didn’t feel like its 2:20 run time.
After the movie we went to dinner at Patria. I’d been many times but it was Lindsay’s first visit. Not to brag, but I think we kinda killed it.
- cocktails: Spanish Manhattan, Spanish Negroni
- pimientos de Padrón (blistered peppers + sea salt)
- aceitunas (house marinated olives)
- palacios chorizo
- cheese: oveja con trufa la quesera, 12 month d.o. manchego, d.o. murcia al vino
- tartar de carne (striploin + organic egg + chili + guindilla + alhambra cheese)
- bombas con salsa brava (house chorizo + aioli + spicy piquillo sauce)
- Cava: Raventos I Blanc ‘de Nit’ 2014 (Monastrell, Xarel-lo, Macabeo, Parellada)
- carne de Wagyu (Australian Wagyu + crispy potato bravas + jus)
- glasses of Terres de Vidalba ‘Tocs’ 2007 (Cariñena, Garnacha, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah)
- Mousse de Avellana (hazelnut mousse + salted caramel + dulce de leche + carajillo syrup + candy roses)
- 1955 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Convento Seleccion