Earlier this week Lindsay and I attended a dinner we won in the Grapes For Humanity charity auction with three other couples (two of whom were also at last year’s Bachelder dinner at Barberian’s). This year’s prize was a dinner at Richmond Station with Southbrook‘s owner Bill Redelmeier and a board member from Tree Canada. Southbrook has long been a favourite of mine, but I’d not yet met Bill, so that was an extra treat. I also knew the food at Richmond Station would be great, but wow…they stepped up their game even more than usual.
This was the menu:
- Canapes for the table
- Cured Salmon Tartlet w/ creme fraiche, trout roe
- Beef Tartare w/ Yorkshire pudding, porcini mayo, horseradish
- Gougere w/ applewood smoked cheddar
- Duck Liver Pate w/ candied buckwheat, bourbon-maple gastrique
- Paired with Southbrook 2020 Estate Vidal Orange
- Striped Bass Tartare w/ shio koji, sea asparagus, yuzu
- Paired with Southbrook 2021 Estate Rosé
- Cookstown Greens Parsnip Velouté w/ brown butter, granny smith apple, lemon thyme
- Paired with Southbrook 2020 Saunders Vineyards Chardonnay
- Confit Chicken Tortellini w/ truffled celeriac puree, smoked butter, crispy chicken skin
- Paired with Southbrook 2020 Saunders Vineyard Cabernet Franc
- Shalom Farm Venison w/ mushroom tartlett, chestnut puree, spruce hollandaise
- Paired with Southbrook 2018 Estate Merlot
- Cookies & Cream Tart
- Chocolate ice cream, white chocolate ganache, chocolate shortbread
- Paired with Southbrook Cassis Dessert Wine
Lindsay and I just went back over the menu trying to pick out a favourite course, and realized every single thing was excellent.
As for the guest of honor: Bill’s been in and around this space forever, and it was amazing to pick his brain and hear his thoughts about the industry. Terrific wine, excellent conversation, superlative food, and great friends. The kind of night you wish wouldn’t end.